Health Benefits And Nutrition In Pineapple history says that the pineapple originated in Brazil in South America. It is also believed that Christopher Columbus and his crew members were probably the first to eat pineapple. Pineapple is one of the best fruits to fight free radicals and is also good for those with arthritis. Pineapple is a neglected fruit, but it has nutrients that are not common in other fruits. Pineapple is a unique fruit. It is actually multiple fruits fused together.
When you have a slice of pineapple you experience a burst of different flavors sweet, Salty and tangy. You can eat pineapple anyway you like. For example, Juice it, Pulp it or make a refreshing cocktail. Canned pineapple can be a great topping for cakes and desserts. Different parts of a pineapple skin, core etc. are used in the production of vinegar, alcohol and animal food.
Health Benefits Of Pineapple:
Health benefits of pineapple can be achieved through eating fresh, however there will not be much health benefits of pineapple if it is canned or frozen pineapple. So we break down the benefits of pineapple based on its nutrients.
- Pineapple is highly rich in Vitamin C and so acts as a great antioxidant, which prevents colds and flu.
- It is also a good source of thiamine, B12, Folate, Copper and dietary fibers.
- A few slices of pineapple a day in your meal can work wonders for your body and it is a good choice for weight watchers due to its low calorie content (100gm Pineapple = 50K cal).
- Besides helping you lose weight, pineapple has an important nutrient that reduces arthritic pain.
- Pineapples are perfect for hypertension because a cup of pineapple contains about 1 mg of sodium and 195 mg of potassium.
- The fruit also reduces blood clotting and aids in removing plaque from the arterial walls.
- It also speeds up tissue repair associated with general surgery, diabetic ulcers and injuries.
- They are also good for oral health. It also prevents periodontal diseases and gingivitis.
- Pineapples are also used to cure throat infections and bronchitis.
- Pineapples aids in building healthy bones.
- Pineapple cures constipation
- “Bromelain” is a magical component which is present in the fruit that has many health benefits. Although it is present in the entire fruit, the stem of a pineapple has the most amount of bromelain.
- The stem reduces pain, Bromelain extracts aid in digestion and act as an anti-inflammatory agent thus it turn it helps with arthritis pain. Bromelain extracts are now available in the form of capsules.
- Being a proteolytic enzyme, bromelain helps to tenderize your meats by breaking down the protein in it, but remember bromelain can coagulate the milk and prevent the jelly to set hence remember if you want to make a pineapple milkshake you need to cook it to destroy the bromelain content.
Gluttonous consumption of pineapple has negative side effects. Nutritionist informs “Consuming excess amount of pineapple can lead to irritation and soreness in mouth due to high acid content hence portion control is important”.